Is homework worthwhile?

Statistically, 56 percent of 4300 graduate students from an Ivy league college, in a research carried out, emphasized that homework is a major stress factor.. In comparison, the remaining 44 percent reported that stress comes as a result of sleeplessness, high anxiety level, weight loss and exhaustion.

The argument that supports homework is ongoing in different countries using different strategies. To discover and adopt the best methods to avoid stress or distortion in the relationship between parents and children, some teaching teams decided to carry out research to proffer solutions to it. The study highlighted that useful homework could be achieved if work is individually committed to each student to do.

Traditional homework

This is also known as ‘busy work.’ Here, there is the assumption that all students are the same, having the same concentration level, same maturity and the same ability to work. This homework type can be so stressful, especially when students feel left alone to do the most difficult impossible task.

Already, children have spent seven hours in school. They are also robbed of playtime at home because of ‘busy work.’ Pondering on this issue make people come with an idea of replacing tedious work with more personal ones. This will enable the continuation of learning that is well managed and comfortable for both children and parents to share their views.

Personalized approaches

Under this approach, topics to be treated in upcoming terms are shared with parents to help their children learn at every single opportunity available.

While at home, parents should assist the children to improve their knowledge of Math and English language. Calculating the number of utensils or saucers can improve children’s mathematics skills. Also, parents should find out time to read together with their children. This will make learning enjoyable and fun. Hence, children’s literacy skills will be greatly enhanced because they now embrace reading as fun, and not just a rite to be observed.

Furthermore, students whose first language is not English can explore a lot of topics to improve their native language proficiency. Parents can give feedback to teachers when they find out that their children are facing some challenges. Then, adequate support can be provided for such students.

Alternative Teaching methods

Finland is recognized worldwide as a center of excellence in Education. Their students spend less time in school; they don’t give homework to students and don’t allow students who have not attained the age of seven to start school. Nevertheless, their students perform well compared to some other students in other countries.

Trust, in the Finland education system, is a significant concept that makes the difference. The parents trust that their wards will receive quality education to their children within the short school hours. Likewise, the schools trust their teachers to provide quality services. Therefore, when this is in place, they believe their students can perform well and hence, no need for homework.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *